- How To Cook
- 8 large eggs
- 3 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons Dijon-style mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound rustic wheat or French bread, cut into 1/2- to 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 package Shady Brook Farms® Turkey Breakfast Sausage Roll
- 1 cup diced white or yellow onion
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 bunch chives, minced
1. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, Dijon mustard, salt and pepper.
2. Add bread, pushing it into the mixture so it absorbs it. Set aside, tossing once in a while so the bread absorbs the mixture evenly.
3. Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat and add the oil.
4. Add breakfast sausage and cook, breaking it apart and crumbling it, until no longer pink, about 3 minutes.
5. Add the diced onion and peppers and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, 3 to 5 minutes.
6. Take off the heat and let sit until warm but not hot, about 15 minutes. Add to the bread and egg mixture.
7. Coat 6 ramekins or small baking dishes with cooking spray. Pour in bread-sausage-egg mixture. Sprinkle with the cheese. Cover the dish securely with plastic wrap and refrigerate it overnight, or for about 8 hours.
8. Remove the strata from the fridge 30 minutes before putting it in the oven to take the chill off. Preheat the oven to 350° F and bake uncovered until the eggs are fully cooked, about 30 minutes.
9. Let the strata rest for 5 minutes before slicing and serving. Garnish with chives.
|Serving Size||1 individual strata|
|Amount Per Serving|
|Calories from fat||240|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total fat 26 g||40 %|
|Saturated fat 10 g||50 %|
|Trans fat 0 g|
|Cholesterol 310 mg||103 %|
|Sodium 980 mg||41 %|
|Total Carbohydrates 49 g||16 %|
|Dietary Fiber 5 g||20 %|
|Sugars 16 g|
|Protein 32 g|
Vitamin A 35%
Vitamin C 60%
|*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs. This is a representation of the nutrition label. The actual nutrition label on the product may vary slightly.|