- How To Cook
- Cooking spray
- 3 Shady Brook Farms® Hot Italian Sausages
- 1 large white or yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning, or more to taste
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes, preferably fire roasted
- 1 14.5-ounce can low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 1/2 cups frozen chopped okra
- 2-3 cups steamed white long-grain rice
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- Crusty French bread (optional)
1. Heat a large, preferably nonstick, Dutch oven on medium heat until hot and coat with cooking spray.
2. Add sausages and cook until well browned, about 10 minutes, turning frequently. Transfer sausages to plate, and when cool enough to handle cut sausages into 1/2-inch thick diagonal slices. Note that the sausages will not be completely cooked.
3. Add the onion to the Dutch oven and cook, stirring often, until soft, about 3 minutes.
4. Add garlic and Cajun seasoning and stir, just until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
5. Add vegetable oil and flour and cook, stirring until the flour begins to brown, about 2 minutes.
6. Add tomatoes and broth, increase heat to high and bring to a boil.
7. Add the sausage and okra to the pot and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook until the okra is heated through and sausage is cooked, about 5 minutes.
8. Serve the stew in bowls over rice with green onions on top and French bread on the side.
|Serving Size||About 1 1/2 cups gumbo and 1/2 cup rice|
|Amount Per Serving|
|Calories from fat||90|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total fat 10 g||15 %|
|Saturated fat 2 g||10 %|
|Trans fat 0 g|
|Cholesterol 40 mg||13 %|
|Sodium 1050 mg||44 %|
|Total Carbohydrates 42 g||14 %|
|Dietary Fiber 4 g||16 %|
|Sugars 8 g|
|Protein 19 g|
Vitamin A 25%
Vitamin C 50%
|*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs. This is a representation of the nutrition label. The actual nutrition label on the product may vary slightly.|